Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Borg

One last post before I go out on a 20-day work travel. This time, we feature the Borg!

Those are Furuta models, easily found on Ebay at very affordable prices. I based them on some Litko's hex flight stands, and painted a little white mark on each to indicate which side is the front, so I can determine each fire arc.


They come pre-painted in black. The only painting I did on them was adding some green spots here and there, to represent internal lights.

Initially, I had bought micromachines for my Borg fleet, but I ended up finding them too little compared to my other minis. They would seem way too much out of scale.

On the picture below, you can see a furuta compared to a micromachine cube.

I'm now satisfied with the size of my borg cubes. It's not to say now they are in scale with the rest of my trek ships, they are just big enough now to represent their massive size.

In fact, I wouldn't want them exactly in scale with the rest of my trek collection, as it would require them to be too big to be playable (!)

I'm looking forward to using them on a Pax Stellarum game. As I mentioned on previous posts, troops on my homebrew may have specific traits. The borg, for instance, have "Modulate Shields" and "Assimilate". 

The first trait makes their defense better at each subsequent round of combat on the same boarding action. The second trait makes them gain 1 troops every time they kill 1 enemy troops.

Further playtesting on my ruleset is going to have to wait a while, though, due to the reason mentioned on the  opening of this post.

*End of Transmission*

7 comments:

  1. You will be assimilated

    Nice work with the green "lights"

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, congratulations for your work! It´s awesome!

    In our gaming club (in Spain) we want to play some spaceship game, but we can´t decide. Any suggestion? Is there any "common" ruleset with fleet army list for various sci-fi universes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phobos, most rulesets are designed to work with the line of miniatures the company is selling, so its hard to find one that works with so many different Sci Fi universes.

    This is one of the reasons why I'm developing my own ruleset: Pax Stellarum.

    It's still a work in progress, but other good options are Full Thrust and Starmada. May fit your needs. ;)

    You can check about them from the link I provide here on my blog, on the section (Free) Rules of Engagement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Matgc.

    Any update on the status of your Pax Stellarum rules?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!

      It is currently on Alpha Testing by a couple of guys who volunteered to help me with that.

      Delete