Monday, April 30, 2012

The Hive Empire - my second bug fleet

Here it is, my Hive fleet, from Studio Bergstrom:








I got inspiration from Desertscribe's (Super Galactic Dreadnought) paint scheme for his entomolians, as I already mentioned here, but my bugs got a little more contrast between front and rear colors. Turned out nice, I think.

I also painted their underside on a different color, as he did to his. It adds a nice bug feel to the ships.


I liked that copper look so much that I ended up painting Pahoota's ships (Solipsist Gaming) on that scheme, as well:


More stuff out of my painting desk now, making space for the Warmachine models I recently purchased (man, painting 28mm is a chore...)

*End of Transmission*


11 comments:

  1. I like it! Very effective with the light green at the front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mat, I'm glad I sent you those ships. You made them look much better than I could. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not at all. This is just plain simple drybrush. Anyone can do.

      Painting 28mm figures is a completely different thing, though. My experience with painting spaceships is worth little on that...

      Delete
  3. I like the colour scheme. I'm not a fan of the ship aesthetics myself, never really liked those ships from Drew but I think you've gotten the best out of them. On a side-note I recently had a spurge of activity on my BSG ships so they should be appearing soon on the blog, you fly through and paint a fleet in the time it takes me to do a ship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samulus, it took me 3 hours to paint the entire fleet.

      I follow Henry Ford's philosofy: Production line.

      When all ships in a fleet have got the same scheme, I apply each color on all ships in sequence, then go ahead to the next color, and so on. ;)

      Delete
  4. Great looking fleet, love the paintjob.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very effective and oddly creepy paintjob that suits the designs well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look great. Would you be able to give us some of the dimensions of the ships? I am having a hard time perceiving the size of them. I am also wondering how well those would work for BFG Tyranid ships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted the sizes here:

      http://www.star-ranger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8612

      Delete
  7. Nice job! Thanks for sharing your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice painting job, congratz!

    ReplyDelete