Friday, May 30, 2014

French Army taking shape

So, I finished my third French Line Infantry, and figured my Grand Armée is already large enough to deserve some army shots, even though it isn't big enough (on infantry, basically) to meet the table yet.

SAM_7241

SAM_7242

SAM_7243

SAM_7245

SAM_7246

SAM_7247

Here is my first skirmish base. I decided to go with a small base for skirmishers, which allows placement in woods, villages, etc.

SAM_7248

SAM_7250

My Old Guard is going to have 6 bases, instead of the standard 4, to represent it as a large unit. So far, I've only made 5, but another kit is already ordered and soon these guys will be at full strength.

SAM_7251

As for cavalry, so far I have a unit of Dragoons (25º regiment) and a single base of Chasseurs. More to come soon.

SAM_7252

SAM_7253

SAM_7254

SAM_7255

SAM_7256

This is work of less than 4 months, which is amazingly fast even for my standards - and this isn't everything napoleonics I painted so far, some prussian and british units have already been displayed on this blog too. I expect to have the french and the british in shape for my first small engagements by late August/September, and from there I'll start building the other nations, while expanding the british and, mainly, the french.

It's really a joy to see this army becoming a truly large force. I'm used to playing sci-fi, where your entire army is usually no more numerous than a single of the 32-man line infantry I'm painting, so the feel of epicness when I look at these french is thrilling. I look forward to having this army in double the current numbers, it'll be quite a view on the table!

*End of Transmission*



6 comments:

  1. Wow, most impressive, agree with Paul!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic command bases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An impressive force, I look forward to seeing it double.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning work and progress in such a short time! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great progress, Mateus, especially given the quality of the painting, and already a sizeable and well balanced force. Easily enough to play a smalll game with many systems.

    That's one of the things about Horse and Musket wargames armies; we lavish a lot of attention on painting the individual units, getting the details as right as possible, but... it is also about the total spectacle of the troops en masse as well!

    ReplyDelete